The Serbian national final has been renamed and it’s now called “Pesma za Evroviziju” which means ‘a song for Eurovision’. Out of 18 finalists Konstrakta has been chosen both by jury and public vote with the highest votes. It’s not Konstrakta’s first appearance at the national final, with the group Zemlja Gruva she took part in 2008 with “Čudesni svetovi” , 8th place, and 2009 with “Svejedno je”, 17th place. Now she can go to Turin as a solo artist.
Ana Đurić – the real name of Konstrakta – was born in Belgrade in 1979. She is married and has two children and a degree as an architect. When Konstrakta started to write her own songs and produces the video clips, she has always conceptual, like a designer or architect. These extraordinary compositions can be admired: “Žvake” or “Neam šamana”
The ESC song “In Corpore Sano” is Latin and means ’A healthy mind in a healthy body’. A quite unusual theme for a Eurovision song. Konstrakta bemoans the arousing fear that the health control gets out of her hands, a healthy attitude is the goal, not to get subordinated by the health industry. In a way it is satire, but on the other hand a real issue.
The stage presentation at the Serbian final as well as the video clip is showing Konstrakta, washing her hands in a wash bowl. It’s an untypical song for the ESC with an untypical topic. But Konstrakta has a certain charisma, which is fascinating and the song has a cool catchiness. Don’t underestimate Serbia this year!
Top 10: 4
Serbia had its debut in the Eurovision Song Contest as an independent country in 2007. The same year Marija Šerifović could win immediately with the stunning ballad “Molitva”. The energetic ballad was the big favourite from the beginning. With the incredible and touching stage performance she could overwhelmingly win the ESC in Helsinki. The year after Serbia had the honour to host the ESC for the first time in the capital of Belgrade. It was a terrific show with one of the most beautiful ESC stages for a long time. It made not only the Serbians proud. The neighbour countries also provided good entries, hence it was a highlight for the entire Balkan countries. Before, Serbia has been participating as Serbia & Montenegro for two years.
In the ESC history the former Yugoslavia took part 27 times and could achieve one victory with “Rock Me” by Riva in 1989 in Lausanne. The debut year of Yugoslavia was 1961. And the last time Yugoslavia has been sending a song to Eurovision was 1992 with “Ljubim Te Pesmama” by Extra Nena. Then the ex-Yugoslavian countries took part individually, one after another.
This year it is going to be the 14th time for Serbia in the Eurovision Song Contest already. The Serbian songs were mostly quite successful, out of 14 participations so far they could qualify ten times for the Grand Final (71% chances) and achieved Top10 ranks for four times, that’s a chance of 29%.
We also need to mention Željko Joksimović here as he has put a lot of effort in the Serbian successes. He composed, sang his entries for Serbia & Montenegro as well as Serbia and also hosted the ESC in Belgrade 2008.
1x 1st place “Molitva” | Marija Šerifović (Helsinki 2007)