The three girls Sanja, Ksenija and Ivana, better known as the group Hurricane have been the winner of last year’s national Beovizija with the song “Hasta La Vista”. They have received the highest votes from the public and jury. Unfortunately, they could not go Rotterdam due to the cancellation of the ESC. The Serbian broadcaster PTC decided that they earned another chance, so they were directly nominated to represent Serbia in Rotterdam in 2021.
The trio Hurricane consists of:
Sanja Vučić, who already represented Serbia back in Stockholm 2016 with the song “Goodbye”, where she made the 18th rank. Ksenija Knežević, who is the daughter of the Montenegrin singer Knez, he represented Montenegro with “Adio” in Vienna 2015 and came 13th, Ksenija has been a background singer.
Ivana Nikolić, a professional dancer.
The band name origins from the terrible hurricanes Maria and Irma in 2017, that’s why Zoran Milinković was looking for the right singers. The first single “Irma, Maria” even had the theme of the band name and was even filmed in a destructed area.
The song “Hasta La Vista” has been polarizing last year, as many people thought that it’s just about their looks. The new song “Loco Loco” does as well. In 2016 Sanja still sang for women’s rights and oppression of woman, it seems that now the intention has changed 180°. That’s a bit contrary purposes also force a lot of attention in Serbia and beyond. The sexy girls are not shy showing what they have and they can also sing! With that erotic energy they are seducing millions of YouTubers, their biggest hit “Favorito” has been watched over 78 million times! Of course, sex sells and their outfits and video shots with long legs out of the bathtub are going in that direction. Even the lyrics play with ambiguous word games:
You want me, don’t you lie. I’m sweet as choco moco Come on, be my loco Ram ba-ba-bam And I am cute and nice And you’re alone, alone, alone And I know, I know, I know It will be wild, wild, wild
This Eurovision entry is a disco pop song in the 80’s and 90’s style which should animate the crowd to dance. The girls definitely have the charisma to convince the TV viewers. They said “we are all a bit ‘loco’ sometimes, and probably that is all we need in times of corona pandemic. The competition is very high this year, so this kind of song will have its difficulties with the qualification, despite of the fact that Serbia mostly qualifies for the Grand Final.
Top 10: 4
Chances for Top 10: 31%
Chances for Final: 69%
Serbia had its debut in the Eurovision Song Contest as an independent country in 2007. The same year Marija Šerifović could win immediately with the heart-warming ballad “Molitva”. The energetic ballad was the big favourite from the beginning. With the incredible and touching stage performance she could overwhelmingly win the ESC in Helsinki. The year after Serbia had the honour to host the ESC for the first time in the capital of Belgrade. It was a terrific show with one of the most beautiful ESC stages for a long time. It made not only the Serbians proud. The neighbour countries also provided good entries, hence it was a highlight for the entire Balkan countries. Before, Serbia has been participating as Serbia & Montenegro for two years, as Yugoslavia has broken apart. In the ESC history the former Yugoslavia took part 27 times and could achieve one victory with “Rock Me” by Riva in 1989 in Lausanne. The debut year of Yugoslavia was 1961. And the last time Yugoslavia has been sending a song to Eurovision was 1992 with “Ljubim Te Pesmama” by Extra Nena.
This year it is going to be the 13th time for Serbia in the Eurovision Song Contest already. The Serbian songs were mostly quite successful, out of 13 participations so far they could qualify nine times for the Grand Final (69% chances) and achieved Top10 ranks for four times, that’s a chance of 31%. We also need to mention Željko Joksimović here as he has put a lot of effort in the Serbian success. He composed, sang his entries for Serbia & Montenegro as well as Serbia and also hosted the ESC in Belgrade 2008.
Public relations, Editor, Journalist
About me: As one of the founders of eurovisionlive.com I am responsible for the interviews with the singers and the editorial content. My passion for the Eurovision Song Contest exists since my early childhood. The exotic music, different cultures and languages have given a lot of inspiration to me. Since my very first ESC in Dublin 1994 I particularly appreciate the get together and friendship of all the nationalities and Riverdance was a thrill!