This year there have been a lot of submission in the Beovizija – the national final in Serbia. It has also been the 10th anniversary of this show format. With the highest votes both from public and jury the trio Hurricane could win the ticket to Rotterdam.
The trio consists of Sanja Vučić, Ksenija Knežević und Ivana Nikolić. Sanja has already represented Serbia in Stockholm 2016 with “Goodbye” a song for women’s rights in rotten relationships and oppression of women. Now the image has changed 180° - the three girls of Hurricane put all her energy on her sexy performance a real contradiction. That’s probably the reason for the big success in their home country. The video clips – all from the same obtrusive make of – have millions of clicks.
The band name origins from the terrible hurricanes Maria and Irma in 2017, that’s why Zoran Milinković was looking for the right singers. The first single “Irma, Maria” even had the theme of the band name and was even filmed in a destructed area. The biggest hit “Favorito” has over 54 million views on YouTube.
The supposed song for Rotterdam “Hasta La Vista” is a feeble pop song composed by Nemanja Antonić. Judging by the live singing qualities in the national final, there would have been a lot to improve, the video clip can conceal most of the missing tones. With an entry like this Serbia would have been no candidate for the Grand Final.
Debut: 2007 Participations: 12 Victories: 1 Finals: 9 Top 10: 4 Chances for Top 10: 31% Chances for Final: 69%
Serbia had its debut in the Eurovision Song Contest as an independent country in 2007. The same year Marija Šerifović could win immediately with the stunning ballad “Molitva”. The power ballad was the big favourite from the beginning. With the incredible and touching stage performance she could overwhelmingly win the ESC in Helsinki. The year after Serbia had the honour to host the ESC for the first time in the capital of Belgrade. It was a terrific show with one of the most beautiful ESC stages for a long time. It made not only the Serbians proud, also the neighbour countries provided good entries, it was a highlight for the entire Balkan countries. Before Serbia has been participating as Serbia & Montenegro for two years, as Yugoslavia has broken apart. In the ESC history the former Yugoslavia took part 27 times and could achieve one victory with “Rock Me” by Riva in 1989 in Lausanne. The debut year of Yugoslavia was 1961. And the last time Yugoslavia has been sending a song to Eurovision was 1992 with “Ljubim Te Pesmama” by Extra Nena.
This year it would have been the 13th time for Serbia in the Eurovision Song Contest already. The Serbian songs were mostly quite successful, out of 13 participations so far they could qualify for the Grand Final (69% chances) nine times and achieved Top10 ranks for four times, that’s a chance of 31%.
We also need to mention Željko Joksimović here as he has put the most effort in the Serbian success in the recent years and even beyond. He composed, sang his entries for Serbia & Montenegro as well as Serbia and also hosted the ESC in Belgrade 2008.
1x 1st place “Molitva” |Marija Šerifović (Helsinki 2007)
1x 3rd place “Nije Ljubav Stvar” | Željko Joksimović (Baku 2012)