In this year’s Serbian national final Beovizija we have a winner, which already represented Serbia in the ESC back in 2013. Nevena Božović was a part of the girl group Moje 3, with “Ljubav Je Svuda“, they made the 11th place in the Semi Final in Malmö. Now Nevena will defend the Serbian colours in Tel Aviv with “Kruna”, which means crown.
Nevena was born in a small city called Kosovska Mitrovica, close to Pristina in 1994. In 2007 she took part as Serbian representative in the Junior ESC with the song “Piši mi” and made a 3rd place. With the song “Ti” Nevena took part in the music festival Sunčane Skale in Montenegro in 2009 and made the first place. Then Nevena moved to Belgrade and studied music at the University of Arts in Belgrade. In 2012 she made a second place in The Voice and 2013 she represented Serbia with Moje 3 at Eurovision. In 2019 her song “Jasno mi je” was awarded at the Music Awards Academy.
The Serbian song “Kruna” is a love song with an enormous climax. Nevana’s superb voice gives a special character to this dramatic entry, which also been co-composed by herself. “Kruna” will also be sung bilingual in Serbian and English. This dramatic ballad will definitely shine in Tel Aviv.
Top 10: 4
Chances for Top 10: 33%
Chances for Final: 67%
Serbia had its debut as an independent country in 2007. The same year Marija Šerifović could win immediately with the stunning ballad “Molitva”. The power ballad was the big favourite from the beginning. With the incredible and touching stage performance she could overwhelmingly win the ESC. The year after Serbia had the honour to host the ESC for the first time in the capital of Belgrade. It was a terrific show with one of the most beautiful ESC stages at that time. It made not only the Serbians proud, also the neighbour countries provided good entries, it was a highlight for the entire Balkan countries. Before Serbia has been participating as Serbia & Montenegro for two years, as Yugoslavia did not exist anymore. In the ESC history the former Yugoslavia took part 27 times and could achieve one victory with “Rock Me” by Riva in 1989 in Lausanne. The debut year of Yugoslavia was 1961.
This year it’s going to be the 12th time for Serbia in the Eurovision Song Contest. The Serbian songs were mostly quite successful, out of 12 participations so far they could qualify for the Grand Final (67% chances) eight times and achieved Top10 ranks for four times, that’s a chance of 33%.
We also need to mention Željko Joksimović here as he has put the most effort in the Serbian success in the recent years and even beyond. He composed, sang his entries for Serbia & Montenegro as well as Serbia and also hosted the ESC in Belgrade 2008.
Publisher, Editor, Journalist
About me: My first Eurovision Song Contest I watched behind the walls of the former GDR in 1987. This was even possible at that time! Since then I am following the ESC every year on TV. In 2004 I had the chance to watch it live in Istanbul. Due to the fact that Jens and Bernd have collected many interviews, photos, etc. the idea came up to show all this contest to the public. We founded the website eurovisionlive.com and we have been one of the first to offer the medium internet for the Eurovision Song Contest.